Board: Lee Swoboda, Bob Harris, Kaye Massie, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Joe Morris, Jennie Rice
Directors not present: Margie Benson, Ken VanBuskirk
The annual meeting, as required by Section 7.2 of the Bylaws, was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chair, Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
* In Margie’s absence, Lee asked for approval of the April 23 meeting minutes.
Judy moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report – Kaye Massie
* All bills are paid and there is $1,096.54 in the bank account. There are 34 2018 NMCV members.
Judy moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer Report – Judy Scott
* Discussion of DNR purchasing Camp Hahobas from the Boy Scouts.
Election of Board members
The following board members' terms expire in 2018: Bob Harris, Joe Morris, Jennie Rice and Ken VanBuskirk. Ken has declined to run, while Bob, Joe and Jennie agreed to serve another 2-year term. The floor was open to any current members who would like to serve on the board, but there were no responders. The Bylaws require reducing the size of the board to seven by attrition, so Ken’s position will be eliminated.
In accordance with NMCV Bylaws, Judy made a motion to elect Bob Harris, Joe Morris and Jennie Rice to serve on the board for a 2-year term by acclamation, which was seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Discussion of issues affecting NM Community Voice
* There was a wide-ranging discussion, including how NMCV was created, its accomplishments over the last 13 years, where it is going and who is going to take the helm after Lee & Mary Swoboda leave.
* Cat Ross said NMCV must do something outside the box to get noticed.
* Bob Harris said word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
* Cat encouraged the NMCV to remain members of the NM Chamber. The Chamber will announce our meetings on their reader board if given advance notice.
* Don Cady suggested the NMCV sponsor the 5th Tuesday County Commission meetings in Belfair to get more exposure.
* Lee & Mary offered to continue to maintain NMCV’s web site, but member list, membership renewal reminders, minutes, emails, and postings to Facebook will need to be done by others. The discussion will be continued at the June meeting when officers of the board will be elected.
* Don Cady concluded by saying this is the end of one chapter of the NMCV and the beginning of a new one.
Upcoming Meetings / For the Good of the Order
* Tuesday, May 22, 7:00 PM. Mason County Public Hospital District 2 board meeting.
* Tuesday, May 29, 6:00 PM. Mason County Commission 5th Tuesday meeting in Belfair.
* Sunday, July 1, 2:00 – 6:00 PM. Bent Bine hosting kickoff for Christmas parade. “Christmas in July.” Bring socks for the Christmas giving tree.
Meeting adjourned at 8:18 PM.
Next meeting Monday, June 25. Election of Officers in accordance with Sections 3.5 and 4.1 of the Bylaws.
Submitted by Mary Swoboda for Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 6/25/2018.