Board: Lee Swoboda, Bob Harris, Kaye Massie, Margie Benson, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Ken VanBuskirk
Directors not present: Joe Morris, Jennie Rice
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chair, Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said. Afterward, everyone introduced themselves.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
* Approval of the September 26 meeting minutes.
Linnie moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report – Kaye Massie
* All bills are paid and 10 people have renewed their membership for 2017. There is $1,014.11 in the bank account.
Linnie moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
* She deferred to the “Good of the Order” for a report.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM
GUEST SPEAKER: Melody Peterson, Mason County Assessor. Many property owners have received their Assessor's Notice of Value showing a change in property values that will affect their 2017 taxes. Our Assessor, along with her chief appraiser, Oliver Querin, discussed how properties are valued for tax purposes and answered questions. MasonWebTV.com recorded her presentation, which can be viewed here - https://youtu.be/AysgD8LGwFE.
* Senior citizens and those with disabilities can apply for an exemption. More information here - https://www.co.mason.wa.us/assessor/property-tax-exemptions.php.
* There is an upward trend in the Mason County economy based on the annual valuations of property, with a 6.5% increase overall.
* Mason County has the second highest ratio of assessed properties in the state.
* Property tax valuations can be appealed to the Board of Equalization, which is separate from the Assessor’s office. Preferably, call or visit the Assessor if you dispute an assessment.
* View properties lose their value as trees grow, meaning the value of the property may be adjusted downward.
* Properties are physically inspected once every 6 years, but every year an annual revaluation of all properties is determined by property sales.
* Two handouts were provided:
. Homeowner’s Guide to Mass Appraisal - http://dor.wa.gov/docs/pubs/prop_tax/proptaxmassappraisal.pdf.
. Homeowner’s Guide to Property Tax - http://dor.wa.gov/docs/pubs/prop_tax/homeown.pdf.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings
* October 25, 7:00 PM. Mason County Public Hospital District #2 meeting, discussing budget for 2017.
* November 3, 8:30 AM. Sheriff’s Advisory meeting.
* November 7, 6:00 PM. Port of Allyn meeting, discussing water rates and budget hearing.
Cat Ross announced three upcoming events:
* November 10, 5-7 PM. North Mason Chamber event, “Game Night at the Hub,” with
tailgating snacks, beverages and games, and the opportunity to enjoy time with other chamber friends.
* December 4, 4-6 PM. Belfair Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting. Cat is coordinating two parade entries, one for the NM Chamber and the other for The Hub, and encourages all interested people to contact her if they would like to walk in the parade.
* December 17, 5:30 PM. Ugly Christmas Sweater Murder Mystery Dinner, benefitting the NM Cancer Crusaders and Faith In Action’s Hub Center for Seniors. Tickets are $30 each and can be purchased at The Hub. UPDATE: The price for the dinner tickets is $25 each instead of $30.
For the Good of the Order
* Judy Scott said water rights has become an issue again, with the possibility that meters could be put on private wells. More information coming.
* The fundraiser for the Sargent Oyster House restoration raised about $2,000. The food was outstanding. There will be another fundraiser in February.
* Ken VanBuskirk said the speed limit on the Old Belfair Hwy from the four-way stop to Timberline Drive was lowered to 35 MPH.
* Ken VanBuskirk attended two League of Women Voters meetings, recorded by MasonWebTV. One discussed the pros and cons of the ballot initiatives - https://youtu.be/q8N2Br0o1U0. The other discussed the pros and cons of the Metropolitan Parks District proposal - https://youtu.be/RLdQ2M9GzXE.
Next meeting Monday, November 28.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 11/28/2016.