Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Bob Harris, Joe Morris, Margie Benson, Jennie Rice
Directors not present: Ken VanBuskirk
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chair, Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said and afterward, everyone introduced themselves.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
• Approval of the July 25 meeting minutes.
Kaye moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report – Kaye Massie
• All bills are paid, including North Mason Chamber dues and NMCV post office box. There is $1,049.01 in the bank account.
Judy moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
* Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) and Mason Transit Authority (MTA) want input from the North Mason community regarding a permanent location for a park-and-ride. Four sites are being considered. Kitsap Sun published an article: kitsapsun.com/news/local/mason-transit-weighs-sites-for-park-and-ride-3ae8e476-e039-51d6-e053-0100007f283f-391354581.html. Details on all MTA park-and-ride projects here: masontransit.org/parkandrideproject/. Contact MTA development manager Mike Oliver at 360-432-5710 or email@example.com to share your thoughts.
* The Port of Allyn and Port of Grapeview are considering the possibility of merging the Port of Grapeview into the Port of Allyn.
* The old Belfair Cafe is being torn down. The site is owned by Judy, who hopes to build a 3-story apartment complex at the location, with a portion of the units designated low-income housing.
* Lee received the annual NMCV renewal notice from the Secretary of State and will complete the necessary paperwork.
* NMCV and the North Mason Chamber are co-sponsoring a Candidates Forum featuring the 35th Legislative District and Mason County Commissioner candidates on Thursday, September 29.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:12 PM.
Guest speaker, Patti Kleist from Faith In Action (fiaws.org) gave an update on activities at the HUB Center for Seniors.
* Faith In Action (FIA) was originally a coalition between local churches and the community, started in 2001.
* The HUB has been open since May 3. They had 240 memberships in the first month. Membership information here: fiaws.org/wp-data/uploads/2015/04/hubmembership2.png. Membership registration form here: fiaws.org/wp-data/uploads/2015/04/Membership-Application.jpg.
* FIA provides many senior services, including transporting individuals to medical appointments and shopping, minor home repairs, yard work and emergency financial assistance. Volunteers are needed to assist in these services.
* The HUB has many events and programs scheduled throughout each month, including exercise classes, cooking classes, music and dancing, a travel club and much more. See their monthly calendar here: fiaws.org/events/.
* Thursday, September 22 is Fall Prevention Day and all exercise classes will be free that day.
* The HUB Center for Seniors is currently not eligible for a property tax exemption. Most senior centers across the state are owned by counties, which are tax exempt. Patti is asking legislators to introduce a law that will exempt all senior centers.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings/For the Good of the Order
* Sheriff Advisory meeting Thursday, September 1 at 8:30 AM.
* Mason County Public Hospital District 2 meeting August 23 at 7:00 PM.
* Port of Allyn meeting September 7 at 6:00 PM.
* Oyster House meeting September 13.
* Oyster House fundraiser at the Port of Allyn September 17.
* Belfair Water District meeting August 23 at 6:00 PM.
* Joe Morris said the playground originally installed at the Port of Allyn has been moved to the Trails End Community Club park and installed.
* The North Mason School District’s school board has given approval to move ahead on creating an early learning center in the Theler Center building. Kitsap Sun published an article: kitsapsun.com/news/belfairs-theler-center-could-become-learning-hub-39f7306f-310c-22cc-e053-0100007fb3fc-390091751.html.
Next meeting Monday, September 26.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 9/26/2016