Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Ken VanBuskirk, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Bob Harris
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
Everyone introduced themselves after the Pledge of Allegiance.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
• Approval of January 25 meeting minutes.
Linnie moved to approve the minutes, as corrected, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report – Kaye Massie
• All bills are paid and there is $1,433.95 in the bank account.
Judy moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
At the last Peninsula Regional Transportation Planning Organization meeting two staffers from the Office of U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell gave a presentation on FAST Act legislation that was signed into law December 2015. This will revamp how the federal department of transportation will fund public transportation in the states.
Other Board Business
* Reminder to renew membership for 2016.
* There are two open board positions. Any current member of NMCV may apply. See Bylaws for details.
* A condolence card for Barbara Greene and family was passed around for attendees to sign. Mike Greene was Fire Chief of Fire District 2 (now North Mason Regional Fire Authority) for many years.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM
GUEST SPEAKER: Executive Director Lary Coppola, Port of Allyn, discussed future plans for economic development for the Port district.
* Has been executive director of the Port for nearly 1 year (as of March 11).
* Is updating and streamlining the Port’s computer system and network, and is using electronic invoicing. All data backups are now to the cloud.
* The Port now accepts debit and credit cards and has an electronic pay station at the North Shore boat launch.
* Reservations for Port facilities can now be made online.
* Is rebranding the Port’s web site. New Port of Allyn signs have been installed at all entrances to the Port district. The Port’s boundaries cover the northeast corner of Mason County.
* Has developed a preventive maintenance checklist.
* Wants first-class facilities and to be a first-class tourist destination.
* Is a firm believer in goal-setting. Will write a strategic plan. The Port’s main mission is economic development.
* The Port needs to be more engaged in both Mason and Kitsap counties. There is a shortage of commercial developable land in Kitsap County. Will be proactive to market to those people. Also plans to partner with other organizations.
* The Port would like to buy 10 acres at the north terminus of the Belfair Bypass. Consider looking at sports tourism as a part of economic development. Could attract leagues to come from other places.
* Sponsor entrepreneurial classes for people who want to go into business for themselves.
* Plans to aggressively market to wedding businesses. Is partnering with the Allyn Historical Church for wedding functions.
* The Port owns a small water system in Allyn.
* Finished a street lighting project in Allyn. Plans to do the same in Belfair from Belfair Street to Theler.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings/For the Good of the Order
* Tuesday, February 23, 6:00 PM: County commission meeting in Shelton.
* Tuesday, February 23, 7:00 PM: MC Public Hospital District 2 meeting.
* Wednesday, February 24, 6:30 PM: NMSD school board Theler work session.
* Saturday, February 28, 6:00-8:00 PM: Dessert Lovers’ Challenge to support North Mason Resources.
* Thursday, March 3: 8:30 AM: Sheriff’s Advisory meeting.
* Monday, March 7, 6:00 PM: Port of Allyn meeting.
* Tuesday, March 8, 6:00 PM: Belfair Water District meeting.
* Tuesday, March 8, 7:00 PM: Trails End Water District meeting.
* Saturday, March 19, 4:00-8:00 PM: Fundraiser to assist the veterans of North Mason and South Kitsap at HD’s Pub.
Cat Ross announced she is resigning from North Mason Resources. The organization has a great reputation now, no more debt. She will be a “granny nanny” to six children.
Next meeting Monday, March 28.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 3/28/2016.