Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Bob Harris, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Ken VanBuskirk, Jack Kimball
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Chair, Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said. Afterward, everyone introduced themselves.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
* Approval of October 26 meeting minutes.
Bob moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report – Kaye Massie for Jack Kimball
* All bills are paid and there is $1,288.61 in the bank account.
Margie moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
* Mason County is conducting a long-term transportation corridor assessment.
Other Board Business
* Additional board member wanted.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM
Linnie Griffin and friends talked about Belfair and North Mason history.
* Port of Allyn site. Do you know what a port is? Economic development drives ports. Controlled waterways and transportation. The Port of Allyn is the only governmental agency in the north end. Almost everything a port does is based on grants. Tourism is a part of a port’s mandate. Ports also create jobs.
* The Port of Allyn has considered changing its name. It covers quite a large area.
* The Port of Allyn executive director would like people’s emails who are interested in receiving the port’s quarterly newsletter. Email Lary Coppola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* In the early 1900s there were 47 resorts along the canal, 42 were in Mason County. Even in 1932 they were trying to bring in tourism.
* During the Depression and World War II there was always an abundance of food from the canal.
* Del Griffey talked about his part in helping build the Masonic Lodge when he was 9 or 10 years old. He mixed the mortar and helped carry the blocks. The building was finished in 1949-50. He was on the Port of Allyn commission 24 years. He is involved with the Mason County Historical Society and the North Bay Historical Society.
* The Mason County Historical Society is looking for historical items from North Mason.
* The diaries of Mary Theler belong to the Mason County Historical Society.
* You can join the Mason County Historical Society. Details here.
* Belfair State Park used to be called Plum Point. Wild plums grew there. You can still find plum trees.
* History of Mission Creek. Linnie is collecting information and names of early settlers, up to 1940.
* Newspapers back then were filled with news.
* A Mosquito Fleet steamer came into Allyn. Supplies were carried overland to Clifton (Belfair).
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings/For the Good of the Order
* Tuesday, November 24, 7:00 PM. Mason County Public Hospital District 2 board meeting.
* Tuesday, November 24, 6:30 PM. North Mason School District board meeting.
* Thursday, November 26, 9:00 AM-noon. Thanksgiving morning breakfast at North Mason Resources parking lot.
* Thursday, December 3, 8:00 AM. Sheriff Advisory meeting.
* Friday, December 4, 6:00 PM. Fundraiser at Coffee Oasis in Bremerton for the Belfair building.
* Sunday, December 6, 4:00 PM. Belfair tree lighting and Christmas parade.
* Monday, December 7, 6:00 PM. Port of Allyn board meeting.
No meeting in December. Next meeting Monday, January 25, 2016 at 7:00 PM.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM for a pie social.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 1/25/2016.