Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Jack Kimball, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Ken VanBuskirk, Bob Harris, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Jack Kimball
The Pledge of Allegiance was said. Afterward, everyone introduced themselves.
The informational portion of the meeting was first on the agenda. Guest speakers were Stephanie Rowland, President and CEO of the North Mason Chamber and Richard Bell, Chairman of the Allyn Community Association.
* The NM Chamber has over 300 members. She loves partnering with other groups.
* Must have members in order to communicate.
* Thanked NMCV for joining the chamber. All members of NMCV are considered members of the chamber.
* The chamber has partnered with Mason County Tourism. . Their web site, ExploreHoodCanal.com is a hub for information. If you happen to spot an error or think something should be added, call Stephanie and let her know.
* Their “Shop Local” program is active. In addition to rewarding a “Shop Local” shopper each month, they are also rewarding a “Shop Local” business participant too.
* The 2nd Thursday of each month is the Chamber after-hours, which takes place at one of the chamber businesses from 5:00-7:00 PM. There is a chamber luncheon every 4th Wednesday of the month and a quarterly luncheon in Union. All chamber members (which means all NMCV members) are invited to attend.
* Contact Stephanie at 360-275-4267 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Belfair is a commercial hub.
* The Allyn Community Association (ACA) is redefining itself. It was doing the same old thing and there was lack of attendance at meetings.
* The Victor Community Club has fun meetings.
* How do you get people in the 30-40 age group to attend meetings? They don’t read emails. They text, they like SHORT videos, and social media. Need a different way of communicating.
* Meetings are boring. Must get young people involved. What can we do to entertain their kids? The goal is to make informative, fun, short meetings.
There was a lively and interesting discussion inspired especially by Richard Bell’s comments.
The business meeting was called to order at 8:20 PM by Chair, Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
• Approval of August 24 meeting minutes.
Kaye moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report - Jack Kimball
• In the absence of the Treasurer, there was no Treasurer’s report.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
* The Oyster House project is moving forward. It will be an informative tourist attraction explaining the history of our region’s oyster industry.
* Lakeland has a new sidewalk from SR 3 up Lakeland Drive.
* Opening on the NMCV Board: Unfortunately, Kelly Burdette has moved away from the North Mason area and is no longer eligible to serve on the board, which means there is an open board position.
* Committee chair Mary Swoboda provided a wrap up of the September 24 Candidates’ Forum.
* Reminder of NMCV’s new post office box. NMCV now has the smallest size box and the new address is PO Box 2992, Belfair WA 98528.
For the Good of the Order
Candidates running for public office who attended the meeting introduced themselves:
* Wes Martin, running unopposed for Grapeview School District board of directors.
* Judy Scott, running unopposed for Port of Allyn commissioner.
Next meeting Monday, October 26. Linnie Griffin will be the guest speaker and will be talking about the history of some of Belfair's buildings.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 10/26/2015.