Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Jack Kimball, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Bob Harris, Betty Drexler, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Ken VanBuskirk
The business meeting was called to order at 7:04 by Lee Swoboda, Chair, with a quorum of the Board present.
Without a flag, there was no Pledge of Allegiance. Everyone introduced themselves.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
• Approval of January 26 meeting minutes.
Judy moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report - Jack Kimball
• All bills are paid and there is $1,695.25 in the bank account. There are currently 26 paid members with four sponsorships. Attached is the 2014 financial summary report.
Judy moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
The Peninsula Regional Transportation Planning Organization has created a flyer with their prioritized transportation programs. They include a Gorst area interchange and highway improvement program and a Belfair Bypass. wsdot.wa.gov/partners/prtpo.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM.
GUEST SPEAKER: Bill Bryant, Port of Seattle commissioner - portseattle.org/. Born in Morton, grew up in Hoodsport and knows Mason County very well.
* Before he was elected the Port of Seattle raised property taxes every year. In 2008 he prepared a budget that did not raise taxes. The Port of Seattle has been able to operate without raising property taxes every year since then and in some years has even cut taxes.
* There is an important role for government to play in infrastructure, but not necessarily by raising taxes.
* The Port is in the process of revitalizing SeaTac Airport. It is the fastest growing large airport in the U.S.
* Alaska Airlines is partnering in building a new North Satellite.
* Airlines have rerouted eleven international routes through SeaTac. They are partnering with the port to build a new international terminal.
* There is an antiquated law governing ports that forced the ports of Seattle and Tacoma to compete against each other. It was costing us jobs, because we needed to cooperate in order to compete against British Columbia ports. The Port of Seattle and Port of Tacoma have decided to work together, consolidating into one large seaport.
* We are competing with Vancouver, British Columbia, with a large percentage of freight cargo migrating because they have invested in new terminals and in roads, bridges and rail.
* Over 100 bridges across Washington are beginning to be structurally deficient. The state quit building infrastructure in the 1980s. The state must start dealing with road infrastructure or it will lose much of its freight cargo to British Columbia.
* Freight mobility and traffic congestion is not a WSDOT/legislative priority.
* We need to step back and dismantle the bureaucracy that was created in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. It may have worked then, but it is outdated now. Just as the ports restructured, our state needs to modernize to meet the needs of our time.
* It has been reported Bryant is considering running for governor in 2016.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings/For the Good of the Order
* Mason County Public Hospital District 2 meeting Tuesday, February 24 at 7 PM.
* North Bay Historical Society meeting Tuesday, February 24 at 10 AM at the Port of Allyn.
* Sheriff Advisory meeting Thursday, March 5 at 8:30 AM at Spencer Lake.
* Trails End Water District meeting March 10 (the 2nd Tuesday of each month)
* Randy Neatherlin said the Belfair Bypass is included in a Senate bill.
Next meeting Monday, March 23.
Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 3/23/2015.
NORTH MASON COMMUNITY VOICE
2014 FINANCIAL SUMMARY
February 23, 2015
Respectfully submitted by Jack Kimball, Treasurer
Ending Balance 2013: $1,198.92
Ending Balance 2014: $1,600.12
Dues 2014: $470.00
Dues, early 2015: $80.00
Silent Auction, May: $131.00
Silent Auction, Nov: $247.00
Total Income: $979.01
Postage (2013): $22.81
Post Office Box: $60.00
Sec. State non-profit: $10.00
Donation to NMSD-Theler
for kids' Halloween: $100.00
Total Expenses: $577.81
2014 TOTAL INCOME: $979.01
2014 TOTAL EXPENSES: $577.81