Board: Lee Swoboda, Kaye Massie, Jack Kimball, Ken VanBuskirk, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Betty Drexler, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Bob Harris
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Lee Swoboda, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
• Approval of November 24, 2014 meeting minutes.
Judy moved to approve the minutes as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report - Jack Kimball
• All bills are paid and there is $1,600.12 in the bank account. NMCV had 53 members in 2014. The auction at the November 24 meeting raised $267.00.
Kaye moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Public Information Officer (PIO) Report - Judy Scott
* Sargents Oyster House was moved onto the parking lot at the Port of Allyn. The move went very well.
* The Regional Transportation Planning Organization (www.wsdot.wa.gov/partners/prtpo/) for Clallam, Jefferson, Mason and Kitsap Counties has produced an outreach handout for the current Legislature. The Belfair Bypass project is included: "Construct a new alignment around the town of Belfair to provide an alternate route for through traffic. The project's benefits will reduce congestion around the chronically congested downtown Belfair area. Effective July 1, 2009, funding for this project was deferred until 2019 or later. WSDOT's design work stopped on June 30, 2009. Based on the design engineering work conducted to date, the estimated cost of the project was $78 million in 2009 dollars." See the handout here: www.wsdot.wa.gov/partners/prtpo/docs/materials/prtpo_leg_outreach.pdf
* The Mason County Commissioners are still looking for people to serve on the TIP-CAP committee.
* Judy asked what kind of information and speakers they would like to see presented at the monthly meetings. Please contact Judy at email@example.com with your ideas.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:12 PM
GUEST SPEAKER: Jeromy Hicks, North Mason Regional Fire Authority (NMRFA). www.northmasonrfa.com
* Chief Beau Bakken is attending classes at the National Fire Academy.
* The legal consolidation of Fire Districts 2 & 8 was finalized in January.
* NMRFA is staffing the Collins Lake Fire Station with two firemen 24/7.
* NMRFA is currently working on strategic planning.
* Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) meeting minutes are posted online at www.northmasonrfa.com/about-us/citizens-advisory-committee/. The commissioner agenda packets and minutes are posted at www.northmasonrfa.com/about-us/commissioners/commissioner-meetings/
* They have ramped up their public outreach and education programs, thanks to the help of two Americorps "volunteers."
* They are offering free classes on disaster preparedness. The next class is February 28 at the fire station on Old Belfair Hwy.
* They provide smoke detectors, vial of life containers and free home safety inspections at no cost, and they also have carbon monoxide detectors for $18 with free installation. www.northmasonrfa.com/for-residents/
* There are many volunteer opportunities - www.northmasonrfa.com/employment-volunteers/
* The Central Mason Fire and EMS and the NMRFA are investigating the possibility of consolidation. The talks are just starting and it will take months to go through the process, with many opportunities for public input.
* There will be a joint board meeting of the two organizations on Tuesday, February 10 at 5:00 PM. http://www.northmasonrfa.com/2015/01/28/special-meeting-noticechange-in-location-february-10th/
* Currently the NMRFA has a board of six with Kelley McIntosh as president. Ultimately there will be five elected positions.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings
* Trails End Water District audit was completed. Got as good a report as you can get. The new board of commissioners have made substantial improvements and are in the process of establishing controls over the District’s operations. State auditor's report here.
* Port of Allyn has a work session February 27 at 3:00 PM.
* Mason County Public Hospital District 2 has a meeting February 27 at 7:00 PM. The board will be voting to approve Sandy Robertson as superintendent, replacing Wally Volz.
* Sheriff's Advisory meeting is Thursday, February 5 at Spencer Lake. Starts at 8:30 AM.
* Mason County Commission meetings can now be watched live on Mason Web TV. The meeting videos are posted at masonwebtv.com/archives/14069.
* Ken VanBuskirk went to Congressman Derek Kilmer's town meeting. Kilmer encouraged the community to work with all their electeds to make the Belfair Bypass a reality. Randy Neatherlin added that Kilmer has been very good to Mason County and we are in a good position to actually get something done.
* The North Mason School District will hold a special one-hour work-study meeting before their regular monthly board meeting to take public comments about the Theler trail repair. The meeting will be Thursday, February 19 starting at 5:30 PM.
* There is a Theler Advisory Committee meeting Thursday, February 5 at 6:30 PM in the school district board room. Kaye Massie encouraged people to attend these meetings and school board meetings to observe.
* The Belfair Water District meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 PM.
* Randy praised the Belfair Sewer Committee for their work in resolving the issues that plague the Belfair sewer financing. Their next meeting is February 12 at 6:00 PM at the Port of Allyn.
* Assessor Melody Peterson said the assessor's office is currently inspecting properties in the North Mason and Belfair area. They are required by law to physically inspect each property - apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=84.41.041.
The next meeting will be Monday, February 23.
Meeting adjourned at 8:35 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 2/23/2015.