Board: Kaye Massie, Jack Kimball, Ken VanBuskirk, Judy Scott, Linnie Griffin, Bob Harris, Betty Drexler, Joe Morris, Margie Benson
Directors not present: Lee Swoboda, Joe Morris
The business meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Vice Chair Kaye Massie, with a quorum of the Board present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said. Afterward, everyone introduced themselves.
Secretary's Report – Margie Benson
* Approval of June 23 meeting minutes.
Judy moved to approve the minutes, as distributed via email. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer's Report - Jack Kimball
* All bills are paid and there is $1,472.80 in the bank account, including an additional $131.00 from May's silent auction.
Judy moved to approve the Treasurer's report. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Other Board Business
Nominations were reopened for a board member to serve as Public Information Officer. Judy Scott volunteered.
Margie moved to accept Judy Scott as Public Information Officer for a 1-year term. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Business meeting adjourned at 7:08 PM.
GUEST SPEAKER: Patricia A. Grover, Coordinator, Mason County Noxious Weed Control Board, presented an overview about weeds in the North Mason area, current control efforts, and what property owners can do to help control noxious weeds.
* A weed control board is mandated by the state. There are currently positions open on the board. Applications can be downloaded here.
* Pat provides information, weed identification and weed control advice. She is available for onsite consultation and community projects.
* The weed control board partners with other agencies.
* Noxious weeds are non-native plants and are defined under RCW 17.10.
* Common weeds found in Mason County can be seen here.
* The weed control board is funded through multiple sources including Mason County, Forest Service, Department of Agriculture and BPA (Bonneville Power Administration).
* Puget Sound Corps through the Washington Conservation Corps works with the weed control board at no expense to Mason County.
* Mason County Public Works is responsible for controlling noxious weeds on county right-of-ways.
* Pat has a Facebook page: Mason Noxious Weeds.
* Contact information: Email: PatriciaG@co.mason.wa.us. Phone: 360-275-4467, Ext. 592.
Meeting reports/Upcoming meetings
* There will NOT be a 5th Tuesday meeting of the Mason County Commissioners in Belfair this month. The next scheduled Belfair meeting will be Tuesday, September 30 at 6 PM at the North Mason School District's Board Room.
* Kaye Massie attended a NMSD school board meeting and felt like new superintendent Dana Rosenbach is interested and open to hearing community members' views.
* On Thursday, August 14 at 6:00 pm (5:30 sign-in) the NMSD school board will hold a community forum to allow input for future decisions regarding Theler Wetlands and Community Center. The meeting will be held in the North Mason High School Commons. Kaye encouraged the community to be involved in the future of Theler.
* The genealogy group meets at the Port of Allyn on August 6 at 12:30 PM.
* Sheriff's Advisory meeting is August 7 at 8:30 AM at Spencer Lake Resort.
For the Good of the Order
Candidates for public office were given an opportunity to speak.
* Ross Gallagher, write-in candidate for Mason County Commissioner, District 3.
* John Komen, candidate for PUD 3 commissioner, District 2.
* Tammey Newton, candidate for State Representative, Position 2 (35th District).
Jack Kimball attended a Belfair Water District meeting. They will be short of the funds required to move the water pipes along SR 3.
Judy Scott said a YouTube video was posted a week ago giving a fresh look inside Allyn, Washington's historic Sargent's Oyster House, built in 1951. The North Bay Historical Society hopes to preserve this "pearl of Allyn," which carried on Hump Nelson's revolutionary oyster farming techniques going back to 1926. View the locally produced video here.
Next meeting Monday, August 25.
Meeting adjourned at 8:10 PM.
Submitted by Margie Benson, Secretary. Approved by NMCV Board 8/25/2014.